If you are writing a Neighborhoods overview or a feature that is a roundup about various neighborhoods or communities, always give priority to information would be most helpful to know for a newcomer or visitor.
- To organize your story easily, break a city into zones and cover key neighborhoods and the quality of life in each (North, South, East and West usually works well). For a county or region, highlight the key cities/communities within the area, placing the most emphasis on the largest population centers. Here are two examples:
City example: Asheville, NC – http://www.livability.com/nc/asheville/real-estate/asheville-nc-neighborhood-guide
County example: Dickson, TN – http://www.livability.com/tn/dickson/real-estate/dickson-tn-neighborhoods
Also, consider these things and include the answers in your copy:
- What is the range of home prices throughout the community, and specifically for neighborhoods?
- What neighborhoods cater especially to families (parks, neighborhood pools, walking distance to school, etc.)?
- What are the types of homes available throughout the community and within specific neighborhoods?
- What are the historic neighborhoods, and are they well-preserved? Have any won preservation or revitalization awards?
- What neighborhoods or communities appeal mostly to retirees (planned retirement communities, golf course communities)?
- What neighborhoods cater mostly to younger generations (nightlife, social activities, greenways, independent retailers)?